Tuesday, June 14, 2011

the future

I had a wonderful mother-in-law.  We were friends more than "in-laws".  I always tell everyone...she taught me how to be a good mother-in-law.  She would drop everything and watch my kids...she practically raised my kids when they were younger as I worked on my career.  My kids have great memories of time spent with Grandma McHenry. 

This weekend was spent with my mom and family...the nephews and their wives and my youngest Justin, Sarah and little Lilah.  My daughter in law, Jennifer and Nick's kids were there.  Nick was the only one missing. It was a wonderful weekend.  Full of family and fun.  On Sunday morning we suddenly realized it would be awhile before we would all be together again with Nick and his family leaving. It suddenly became a sad weekend.  After everyone left I walked out onto the porch to find my grandson Zack sitting on a bench tearing up.  He said "I'm sad".  He adores his Uncle Beep and I think it just hit him it may be a long time before they see each other again.

Jenn and the kids and I have been together for almost a month.  I think we've done pretty good...no major meltdowns...we both cook for everyone one day a week.  We give each other our own space and she doesn't complain about the dogs!! We have probably become closer.  I asked her last night what she has learned through this (Nick has been in WA about four months already) and she said, "I can do it, on my own..."  I always think of the young, quiet girl that came to us and look at the strong, confident young lady she has become and hope we've had some part in helping her find her voice and her strength. 

I also hope I am one of those mother-in-laws (like mine was) you are always happy to see and never mind them hanging out with you for awhile.  I remember so plainly how great it was when mine took the kids and gave me alone time and I try hard to always do that for Jennifer.  A mother-in-law can be a friend and I hope I always am to her.  I always think of the ideal mother-in-law and daughter-in-law in the bible...Ruth and Naomi (Ruth is a shortened version of 'retut', which means ‘lovely friend’.) I love the line in the story...where you go, I will go, your people will be my people and your God my God. 
I hope Jennifer and I can say that about each other.  I know I can.  Love you Jenn.

1 comment:

  1. As I have said before, I hit the jackpot of mother in laws when I came into this family. You are the best anyone could ever hope for...you mean the world to me!! Love you!

    ReplyDelete