Saturday, June 25, 2011

take a step

This week was spent in Chicago with 23 young people.  I was on a mission trip with the youth of our church.  We stayed in Albany Park near North Park College's campus on the north side of the city.  During the day we worked with kids at a local community center.  I personally worked with kids aged 4-5.  Most of them were Latino and spoke both English and Spanish.  I know very little Spanish but I asked them to teach me.  They did.  Every time they ate something or picked up something I would ask them what was the Spanish for this...and they would tell me and from that time forward I would try to use the Spanish word.   Dog is perro...They were the most well-behaved children I have ever met.  We went with them to the zoo and they listened and followed directions.  At the zoo during lunch I witnessed one little girl sharing her Oreos with the other kids by breaking them apart and giving each child a half of the Oreo.  I always get back so much more than I give on mission trips.  The best part of the trip is an immersion into the homeless population of the city.  The kids are given two dollars each and they are given a map.  They go into a part of the city and must find dinner for the two dollars and find a place to stay for the night and where they would take a shower.  They have a list of questions they must find the answer to. 



We met Ronnie.  A homeless man with no family who has lived in Chicago since he was 5.  I am always amazed the stories that are shared and how the kids react.  The kids must walk up to a homeless person and ask questions.  Do you know how hard that is.  I was amazed as I stood and watched at how people avoided the kids while they talked to Ronnie.  The kids and he were invisible.  We are all a day away from homelessness.  Ronnie talked about just living day-to-day.  His job is to make it through another day.  That sounds like many of us...just make it through. I always come away embarrassed by all I think I need.  All we need is a roof over our heads and a meal to eat...just like the homeless.  I have added to my daily prayer list all of the homeless in the nation.  Please pray for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment