Sunday, September 11, 2011

where were you


Today in Sunday School we talked about 9/11 and the fact the kids in my youth class were between the ages of 2-6.  So they remembered very little about that historic day. 

I relayed my story...
I was at Hawks Nest State Park for a senior citizen event.  We were leaving for a tour of Kirkwood winery.  Before we left we saw the plane hit the first tower on the lobby television.  I just remember it was a beautiful day.  Blue skies and white puffy clouds.  We had two vans that were full of seniors.  We turned on the radio on the way and heard about the second tower.  My husband called several times just to check in on each other and we talked.  I prayed all the way to the winery. Several of the seniors had children in
Washington DC and in NYC.

We toured and were on our way to Summersville dam but all federal buildings were closed down that day.  So we did a turn to Carnifex Ferry Battlefield State Park...when we left the vans the people asked that we pray and we formed a large circle in nature and under blue skies and prayed.

All I wanted was my family and my church.  I left the event and came home that night so I could be with Mark and see and talk to Nick and Jennifer.  I called Justin several times throughout the day.  He was in the eastern panhandle at college. Which was much too close to DC.  I also knew they evacuated all upper level cabinet and staff to the NCTC (National Conservation Training Center) which sits about a mile from Shepherd College.   If I knew that who else knew that.

I came home...there was an impromptu church service led by George Webb and JF Lacaria.  Two men who could bring comfort.  I felt safe at home and church.  Mark and I stayed awake all night watching television, watching the towers fall and the destruction continue.

I remember my mom always talking about remembering where she was when she heard about Pearl Harbour and I never understood it.  Now I did.  The day history changes.  You remember where you were and what you were doing and what brought you comfort.

The scripture for the lectionary this morning was from Matthew where Jesus says to forgive someone 77 times and to love and pray for your enemies.  How appropriate. Hate can only destroy.We need to listen.

 I remember my children's sermon the Sunday after 9-11.  I talked about what we know to be true...that God loves us and God watches over us.  No matter what is happening.  Those thoughts came back to me 8 years later when tragedy hit my family.  When I hurt so bad I remembered that sermon....God loves me and God is watching over me.  No matter what.

God's Peace and Love be with you today as you remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment