Thursday, October 27, 2011

cutting for stone

I started next month's book club book and am smitten from the start.

I have to share with you a quote that had me stopping.  (I was on the treadmill as I read!) and writing it down to remember.
Here goes!

When Marion asked the Matron what he should do in his life, she said:
"What is the hardest thing you can possibly do?" This made him squirm and ask "Why"
And here it comes!
"Because, Marion, you are an instrument of God.  Don't leave the instrument sitting in its case, my son, Play!
Leave no part of your instrument unexplored.  Why settle for "Three Blind Mice" when you can play the "Gloria".
I will let that sit in your heart and let you turn it over and over and ponder the thought.
Isn't that a beautiful analogy.  It makes me wonder at age 55 can I dust off my instrument and play it anew!
Thank you Abraham Verghese.  The book is "Cutting for Stone" and I can't wait to read on.

No comments:

Post a Comment