Thursday, October 6, 2011

get it in gear



I haven't written forever!  I have been basking in the glory of a great weekend.

Last weekend I flew to Myrtle Beach with a college friend and we met up with 20 young (in spirit) women that we lived with 35 years ago.  They were my sorority sisters at Marshall University.  We were all members of Alpha Xi Delta sorority.  What a weekend.  On the way, I reconnected with my roommate.  How sad...we live in the same state and didn't even keep in touch.  No longer!

We laughed on the way down...what if we don't recognize each other...NO WAY!  We had not changed much at all.  A few more wrinkles, a few more grey hairs (for some of us!) but basically we were the same.

The comment was made by one of the planners...when putting it together and looking at every one's facebook page to get addresses...they were amazed at all the good we do in the world.  We are all involved in charities, giving our time to our causes, and involved in our churches. 

Why?  The background we all had at the sorority prepared us.  We were always asked to give back with  our valuable time, we were asked to go to church, especially at important times...while looking back through my pledge scrapbook...I realized, I had church bulletins from pledge retreats, and special weekends.  We were required to be active in the college and the life of the college.  Say what you will about sororities...they prepare you to give back...to be active...to care.

Who would have thought while we were griping about having to do things, while we were whining about "do I have to!" and while we were partying and having a good time...something was forming within our character!

We had a wonderful weekend catching up on each other and we contributed back to the Myrtle Beach community by walking in a Breast Cancer Walk at Murrel's Inlet.  I told my divorce story the first night sitting around the dining room table... I was surrounded with love and support. One of our girl's mother died while we were together and she too was surrounded by love at such a difficult time.

We promised to never lose track again and to look for others we've lost track of. 
We are still influenced by a group of women brought together by a twist of fate and a touch from God.  He brought us together at times in our lives when we need each other.  He reconnected us.  We have been blessed for a second time.

No comments:

Post a Comment