Tuesday, October 25, 2011

stakeholders

Today I attended a high tech conference...you can just imagine the number of pocket protectors and you would be close!  In the midst of a session today on project management...which is my real job...the word "stakeholders" came up.  Who is a stakeholder in your project...negative and positive stakeholders. 
It made me think...who is a stakeholder in my life?  Who is it that has a piece of me and my life?  Who is affected good and bad by my life?

I had to look it up in urban dictionary!  And that is exactly how it was used today...this is so funny!!
A term widely used in the corporate environment usually by management or workers aspiring to be managers without any intelligence or sense of how stupid they sound.

Stakeholders is a term that usually accompanies other corporate buzz words such as "bandwidth', "paradigm", and "circle back". You generally will not hear words like "stakeholder" in social situations outside of work, yet for some reason, people feel compelled to use them at work just to increase their level of annoyance and stupidity.
Use it in a sentence:  Boss: Fred, when you get some bandwidth this morning, lets circle back and address the stakeholders of this project.
I am not going to repeat what Fred said!
 
So being the buzz word person I am...who is a stakeholder in my life...who is affected by me and what I do?
What a scary thought. 
There are my kids, my mom, my brother and his family, my grandbabies, my work family, my friends, my board member friends (Putnam Co Parks, CDOM), my church family, my church kids (that I love like my own), my friends at church (different from church family), my Sunday School, my disciple class, my relatives distant and close, my college friends, my sorority sisters, my FB friends, my state park friends...the list goes on and on and I think those are all the positive stakeholders...what about all of the negative stakeholders...I could really give you a list of those folks!! It is amazing how many lives we are intertwined with...how many places where our lives touch each others. 
 
God is the biggest stakeholder in my life.  God is sometimes negative...showing me all of the wrong I do and the bad I do but also the most positive stakeholder in my life...showing me all the good in people and the world.  Wow...if God be for us who can be against us...
 
Be a stakeholder to someone...try to make it a positive stakeholder!!
Blessings to you!

No comments:

Post a Comment