Monday, February 14, 2011

love is in the air

Happy Valentine's Day!
I thought today I would talk about unconditional love....no it isn't God or any person...it's my dogs.
As I've told you...I love my puppies.
I have a total of five dogs. 
Vena...German shepherd...is the matriarch of the crew.  She is 11 years old and feeling her age.  Her hips give out on her.  She protects us all.  She trains all of the younger ones with a nip and a growl.  She likes her own space sometimes.  How she came to us is a story.  I stole her...not really, she was the pet of a drug house nearby.  The entire neighborhood would feed her, walk her and give her water.  They left at Easter one year and left her on a small lead.  I went and got her and never gave her back.  I did leave a note.  She became mine.

Sissie...is the one everyone wants to take home with them.  She is soooo laid back...nothing phases her.  All the other dogs know that and tend to pick on her.  She is a lab/chow mix.

Can you see I have always had all girls...

Binky...is called that because the first thing she ate was a Binky of Taylor's.  She is a spaniel mix and very hyper.  That dog is outside more than she is in.  She will come and get you to let her out...24/7...As nasty as she can be and she can be nasty...she is also the peace maker among the dogs...if they get too rowdy she sticks herself in the middle and barks until things calm down.  She also plants herself in the bathroom with me every morning when I take my bath.  She is the one that would rip your face off if you messed with me.

Freckles...has freckles...she came to us as a foster that we never gave back...Mark used to make her sing and she is the one that probably misses him the most.  Because of that I try to give her some extra attention.  She has issues...she gets in the trash cans and eats things she shouldn't...I don't get it!

Lil' Guy...is the only boy in the house...he is,I don't know how to describe him...he is a mix of a lot of things...
He came into my yard last Feb...when my life was in tatters and made me get out of bed and laugh.  He was some one's dog and I swore he wasn't staying.  I put up fliers all around Winfield...no luck...he is here to stay.  The dog whisperer would probably say he is too alpha...but he is the one that spoons with me every night and demands my attention....God puts people or dogs in your way when you need them...he is a trip...my son hates him and calls the dog his arch Nemesis...His kids LOVE the dog.  Lil' Guy is a kid's dream come true...he chases tennis balls all day long and will not stop.  He loves to chase the kids through the house...they play hide and seek...he bites but has a smashed in face and teeth that stick out and I think he just can't see what he is taking...what a dog!  I'm glad he came to me.

I think all of these dogs are a lot like me.  They are protective, laid back and picked on, nasty and peace makers, miss Mark, demand attention, too alpha and just a little crazy.  They love me...no matter what...when I walk in the door at night they are so excited to see me...it also means food for them...
they go from room to room and follow me around...just imagine...as I clean the house here is this little parade behind me. Saturdays are all for them...we are outside more than inside and enjoy being together. 

They, like my friends, have kept me going this past year.  But the difference is they were there late at night when no one else was....they licked my face when I was on my knees praying...that's when I knew God was listening...they are his right hand...showing me what unconditional love is like...there are times I get fed up with them and threaten them with the shelter and they sit and wag their tails...goobers!  Just like God's love we get it no matter who we are or what we've done.  Mark's girlfriend Kathy sent him a video that says "I look up and I see God, I look down and see my dog." http://god-dog-love.com/  Enjoy it, I did before I realized where it came from (there is probably a lesson there somewhere but I am just not ready to figure it out.)...There is a reason Dog is God spelled backwards...
Thank you God for the love of five good dogs.  Happy Valentine's Day my pups!

No comments:

Post a Comment