Wednesday, February 9, 2011

words and dogs

If you have been following my blog you know I love to read.  Words are powerful, they are soothing, they are comforting and they bring knowledge.

Through this ordeal I stopped reading for pleasure.

For Christmas I got a kindle and the second book I downloaded was The Lost Dogs: Michael Vick's Dogs their Tale of Rescue and Redemption.  You will also learn I love dogs.

I was around my youth group and friends as I started reading this book.  They would say to me "What is wrong with you? You are getting all worked up.  Chill."  I couldn't put it down.

Time for my soapbox.  The things done to those dogs were horrific and to read about them stirred me to tears.  But (big but) this is a story of perseverance.  They came through this darkness to be loving, rehabilitated and living new lives.  There is a real lesson there!

After I read the book I was fired up!  I was ready to contribute to the Michael Vick "hit" fund! Heck, I might start it!! I was ready to take on the entire NFL, boycott whoever he was playing for.  I was online, reading all that I could find, tracking the dogs, watching videos, emailing, commenting. 

Then I stopped and stood still.  I realized my passion was back!  It took dogs and words!  I could feel again.
It felt like the room lit up and angels were singing Handel's Messiah!! 
Like the dogs I had passed through the darkness and there was light again.  I related to those poor pups.  Those dogs felt pain, like me, but learned to trust again...little by little.  I'm there now...little by little the trust is coming.

God gives us what we need when we need it...at the exact time.  He knew I was ready!  He knew what I loved!  He wanted me to feel that "fire in my belly" and that kick butt attitude again.

I am alive!!  He did it with words and dogs...Thank God!

No comments:

Post a Comment