Tuesday, February 1, 2011

prayer shawl

One of the greatest blessings our church does is they make prayer shawls for folks going through times of sickness and tough times.  One Sunday morning when I was having a really hard time Betty gave me a beautiful teal blue knitted shawl.  On it was a prayer by Mrye Harrison that said:
Blessings are thrown across our lives

Blessings are thrown across our lives by the Great Creative Spirit unfolding the universe, knitting us together in community.

Blessings are thrown across your shoulders over and over as you wear this shawl, blessings woven in as yarn was thrown over needles over and over as it was made.

May you rest enfolded in the soft grace of this continuous thread, interlocking you with all goodness.  Amen

On this day and around our gathered circle, this shawl has been passed through our praying hands and been blessed by our loving hearts.

I know you are getting tired of hearing Joan of Arcadia analagies but one of the programs we watched was the Common Thread which talked about how our actions result in a reaction because we are all connected with a common thread that runs through us all. Actions result in reactions.
During this past year there have been many times I've crawled into bed in tears and I wrapped myself in my prayer shawl and felt the love of those women holding me up in prayer.  Loving me and holding me.  They may never know the affects of their ministry but I am here to tell them their love is felt.  Once again another group of people put into my path to love me during this time of trial.  thank you for blessing me.

No comments:

Post a Comment