Thursday, February 24, 2011

prophets of old

As I read for this disciple class you are going to hear a lot of comments...When I read scripture, especially old testament there are always things I do not get or understand...Tonight it is the prophets of old...I like these guys...they don't tip toe or worry about feelings...they have a message to get out...even though it may mean they will be killed (and not in a nice way) for what they say.

Nathan walked right up to David...told the story of a man with a lamb he loved like a child and the rich man that took the lamb and slaughtered it...David gets upset and swears to kill the rich man and Nathan looks him in the eye and says "You're that man"...He calls him an adulterer, murderer, thief and liar.  David was king at the time and had Uriah (his faithful warrior) killed and took Bathsheba to his bed...David betrayed his covenant with God, he kills, betrays and acts in his own self-interest...sounds like a story I know...I like Nathan's straight forwardness.  I like his kick-butt honesty. 

Recently, I had the chance to tell someone what I thought God would do.  I am helping with the Confirmation class at church.  The kids are wearing WWJD bracelets and I thought I will wear one too.  The youth were told this was their chance to share Jesus with others if someone asks.  Guess who got asked!! Me at work...in a meeting earlier this week, someone said to me...what is on your bracelet...I explained about the kids and wearing the bracelet...then they asked well what does WWJD mean? An I replied...What Would Jesus Do...so today the same person came to me and said...I don't know what Jesus would do but what do you think I should do in this instance...This same person has told me in the past how she has worked with Christian people who always turned her off.  Sometimes it is the quiet, steady and living what you say that bring  people around to Christ.  Can they look at you and see Christ in the way you deal with things??

I remember the first time I had a college kids say to me...I remember what you said about such and such....and I remember saying to them."Why would you listen to me???" "Why would you think I know anything?".  I feel the same way about telling someone about Christ.  What do I know. Why would you listen to me??

We influence others so we are sort of like a prophet of old...all of the words don't do it but sometimes the way we act and how we react is what invites others to take a second look at God. 

Help me Lord to always be what you want me to be...help me to walk the walk while talking the talk.  Help me be brave like a prophet of old.

No comments:

Post a Comment