Friday, February 4, 2011

people you trip over

Somewhere there is a quote that goes something like.... People always come into your life for a reason, a season, or a lifetime.When you figure out which it is, you know exactly what to do...I truly believe God put people in my life during this past year that helped move me forward and prepared me along the way. 

Five years ago I changed jobs.  The job I went to was almost all women, but Christian women, where we talk about God and talk about God in our lives...when this happened to me the women at work closed ranks and surrounded me with love, they helped me face the fact it was over, they helped me dig for answers when I needed them, they told me I looked beautiful when I looked awful...and they prayed for me.  They also helped me take that first tentative step into the land of the living...I always remember them coming in at lunch and saying "Get your butt up...you need to get out of here...it is time to move." It was like God knew exactly five years ago who needed to be around me to get me through this. 

My church family also circled the wagons.  Once they found out what was going on they loved me, hugged me, let me cry and kept me in their prayers.  They didn't pry or ask questions...they let me tell what I needed to tell and kept quiet and didn't spread rumors...which is what you would hope your church would be like....someone just told me last night, "I don't know who you told at the beginning but they kept it close and respected your space"...All this time they also built me up and pushed me along my path.

Divorce Care...I went to a 12 week course at a local Nazarene Church.  I knew no one in this workshop but they met me where I was and helped me to grow through this ordeal.  They were right on target...the answers were there...This was also the first time I thought I could help someone else going through this.

Friends and Lora (who is my dear friend) will get their own posting! They were so important...more than they will ever know.  These are the folks that last a lifetime.

The lady at the bank...I went once to the bank to get my mortgage put in my name and left numb after I was told I would need to refinance, etc...and not very nicely.  I gave myself a couple of months and went back and got a new person (older lady) who talked me through all kinds of financial stuff and helped me set up a plan.  She was wonderful..I cried and she patted my back and gave me tissues...and I was set...we did what needed to be done!!

Counselors...one of the first people I talked to after finding out about Mark told me first thing to do is "find a counselor for you".  I went to my family doctor (who then became involved in my recovery which was a good thing) and she connected me with Tom who was just who I needed.  Tom let me figure things out myself (all of my counselor friends are saying "That's what we do!")...he let me talk...he let me rave...he let me cry...and in the end he helped me figure out this marriage could not be saved.  He was a Christian counselor so with it came bible stories and scripture which is what I needed.  This past holiday I really felt I needed to talk to someone so I went back to counseling (a program through our work) and met Luanne.  She gave me books to read and we just talked...and when I felt I was OK and I made it through the holidays and I didn't think I needed her anymore...she told me that was her last day at work...see she was there just for me...the person I needed.

People...some not really friends but put where and when I needed them ...God is good all the time...and he sees the big picture...how blessed am I!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment