Tuesday, February 22, 2011

obedience school

Vena and I went for a walk the other day and ran into an older gentleman we've met before and his dog...his dog is uber obedient...then you have Vena and I...she listens to me when she feels like it...sort of!  The other dog opened the cage in the back of the truck and got in it himself without being told.
Vena is the one dog of all of mine who has been to obedience school.  Vena listens when there isn't something distracting her.  When there are no other puppies, when there are no rabbits, when there are no deer...she may listen.   She is a German shepherd...she is a protector...and I know when push comes to shove she will protect...I always laugh at that little diddy that goes around about how a dog changes a light bulb and the german shepherd will get to it once she has checked the perimeter, rescued all the children and deems it safe.  That is Vena...no other dog goes outside without Vena standing at the door watching it all.


She is sort of like me and God...when there are no other distractions...I can be sort of obedient...when there are no friends, issue, problems, worries...I can be obedient....on Sundays I can be obedient.  Why is it so hard to always follow what God asks us to do...there are times I ask myself if it is even possible to be that good all the time?  Should we even try when we know we can't live up to that bar that has been set for us?


Life is hard enough and there are pressures enough why add another one that doesn't even seem reachable.

Deuteronomy 30:16 - For I command you today to love the Lord your God, to walk in his ways, and to keep his commands, decrees and laws; then you will live and increase, and the Lord your God will bless you in the land you are entering to possess.  I know the story of Job, he is put through hell, but never waivers in his love of the Lord and his trust in the Lord and he lives to prosper and have a good life.  Those who trust in the Lord live to prosper and live a good life. 

So I will keep on plugging along, looking up at that bar...knowing when I trust the Lord, when I put him first, when I get this obedience thing down...there are good things coming my way...I will live long and prosper.

Thank the Lord!





No comments:

Post a Comment