Friday, July 15, 2011

amen and amends

I should write this entire devotion word for word...it is what I read a lot and need to hear a lot...so listen and take heed!!

Proverbs: 17:1,9,14,17
1 A meal of bread and water in contented peace is better than a banquet spiced with quarrels.
 9 Overlook an offense and bond a friendship;
   fasten on to a slight and—good-bye, friend!
14 The start of a quarrel is like a leak in a dam,
   so stop it before it bursts.
17 Friends love through all kinds of weather,
   and families stick together in all kinds of trouble.


The way we handle things many times reflects the person we are and what we are made of.  As many of you know I have felt as betrayed by my ex family as much as my ex.  We were close, they were my family for 32 years.  My sister in law and I were very close and all of that ended and we have not talked for a year.  On my birthday she emailed and wished me a happy birthday and we talked for the first time.  Next week we are going to lunch with the understanding there will be no talk of her family but we will catch up with mine.  I have missed her, her company, advice and friendship.  I know it will never be the same but maybe we can start from here and find a new friendship. 

Family...through this time what can I say about family that you haven't heard me say?  The boys and I have never been closer.  I have met them as the adults they are...they are the ones who give the advice...they are the ones who come to the rescue and give the love and support.  What would I have done without them? And my family, my mom, my nephews...their support has been constant...Family sticks together in tough times.

As a friend we have the ability to overlook certain quirks...I had a good friend tell me one time...it will be your girlfriends with you at the end.  Sitting at your deathbed and carrying you to the grave.  Friends overlook a lot of the quirks we have!

I read somewhere "It is the one who has been wronged who has all the power: not the one who does the wrong"...Our power comes in the form of forgiveness...it liberates us and helps us to make amends.  Keep me in your prayers next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment