Sunday, July 10, 2011

choices and decisions

It is our choices that show what we are made of....JK Rowling

I wish I had said that...I've thought it many times!! Mrs. Harry Potter could have been quoting our proverb of the day!  I remind you proverbs was written thousands of years ago by King Solomon...the wise one...but it amazes me that what was so pertinent than is still what we struggle with today...guess we haven't learned or changed in all that time.

Proverbs 8:12-16
“I, wisdom, dwell together with prudence;
   I possess knowledge and discretion.
13 To fear the LORD is to hate evil;
   I hate pride and arrogance,
   evil behavior and perverse speech.
14 Counsel and sound judgment are mine;
   I have insight, I have power.
15 By me kings reign
   and rulers issue decrees that are just;
16 by me princes govern,
   and nobles—all who rule on earth.[a]

To hit the apex of our careers and for me to get to this age in my life, I've made some stupid choices.  I've done some really stupid things.  We all have.  I heard an explanation the other day for choices...something that we can live with later in our life...so in our decisions and in our life, proverbs tell us what to ask God for  ...wisdom...prudence...that is a really old fashioned word...I had to look it up...of course I was thinking "prude"....not at all...wise in practical affairs, careful in providing for the future...knowledge...and discretion.

But he goes farther and says we have to put it all into another perspective...more to remember...I may never be able to make a decision!! Because the Lord is a part of my life....put it in God's perspective....is it evil or will it cause evil? Is it all about me?  Is the only reason I'm doing it is because I want to? Am I doing it so I can puff myself up and be prideful and be able to say "I did that?"...do I twist it to make it all OK? Do I know it's wrong yet make a ton of excuses to make it right...wow!! those hit home don't they...

Remember this isn't only in my work life but in my personal life as well...just think if we all used this criteria to make decisions.  From our leaders to our kids...we would have no worries...we would always make the right choice.
And we know our choices show what we are made of...just ask Harry Potter.

No comments:

Post a Comment