Tuesday, July 5, 2011

leader vs manager

On July 3rd we had a cookout with Justin's in-laws...who traveled from PA to spend time with all of us...we laughed and laughed...Rick (Justin's father-in-law) mentioned, as I was knocking the core out of a head of lettuce, "I saw that on the worship channel cooking show. (What???) She does a part of the cooking and says a proverb."  That just cracked us up...I have visions of an old nun...beating the crap out of a head of lettuce saying "Do not be lazy"!!!

It brought home to me...I was going to talk about proverbs several weeks ago and didn't do it...so for the next few days I am going to talk about proverbs...which I love!

I remember going to a class one time that talked about the difference between a leader and a manager.  I remember coming away from the class thinking, I've always had managers as bosses...never a leader!

Leaders look to the future...they have plans in place...they know where they want the organization to go...it is up to the managers to get you there! A leader puts God's word in front of them. They listen to God's words and hear what he is saying.  They know God and know that God's counsel is theirs.  Knowledge and wisdom is a gift from God.  Remember Solomon?  He could have asked for anything and he asked for wisdom...maybe there is a message here.  As a leader you need to be open to other's knowledge but also have the kutzpah to say "NO" when you need to. 

We recently had a children's sermon about a bundle of sticks and how you can break an individual stick but not a bundle of sticks.  The leader looks at that bundle...he or she looks at all the sticks and knows what each one is capable of doing.  A leader also knows they can't lead only by themselves...they have and need people to lead...
Your scripture to read today is:  Proverbs 2:1-5

My son, if you accept my words
   and store up my commands within you,
2 turning your ear to wisdom
   and applying your heart to understanding—
3 indeed, if you call out for insight
   and cry aloud for understanding,
4 and if you look for it as for silver
   and search for it as for hidden treasure,
5 then you will understand the fear of the LORD
   and find the knowledge of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment