Tuesday, July 12, 2011

spit it out

Those proverbs sometimes are a little too close for comfort!

Today's verse is Proverbs 12:13-19
Evildoers are trapped by their sinful talk,
   and so the innocent escape trouble.
 14 From the fruit of their lips people are filled with good things,
   and the work of their hands brings them reward.
 15 The way of fools seems right to them,
   but the wise listen to advice.
 16 Fools show their annoyance at once,
   but the prudent overlook an insult.
 17 An honest witness tells the truth,
   but a false witness tells lies.
 18 The words of the reckless pierce like swords,
   but the tongue of the wise brings healing.
 19 Truthful lips endure forever,
   but a lying tongue lasts only a moment.

Ohhhh, this could be a lament for me.  No matter how hard I try my mouth always gets me in trouble.  Controlling my tongue takes effort!  Lots of it. I blame my mom for that too...she has no filter...she says it even when it is NONE of her business.  My poor brother is almost 60 and she still tries to tell him exactly what to do and how to do it.  But these proverbs also talk about truth vs lies.  When you tell the truth there is never worry ...My church kids know this story about a lie I told probably 30 years ago and whenever we talk about telling the truth they remind me.  The story goes...I was with people I knew from work...we were talking about where we grew  up...someone knew the Elm Grove area and confused what I had said about the creek and thought I meant the other side of the creek was where I grew up...I didn't correct her and just kept agreeing with her.  Ended up she knew people up there and kept asking me was it near so and so...I said yes...that lie just kept growing and growing!  It was huge by the time the evening was over.  It all started so innocent.  It always does!!  People know you by what you say...they know you by the truth you tell...there is so much scripture about what comes out of our mouths!! It is a daily struggle to harness what comes out of it and to use it only for good.

No comments:

Post a Comment