Tuesday, July 19, 2011

anger management

I just heard on entertainment news that Charlie Sheen has a new sitcom called "Anger Management"...imagine that!  This Proverb made me uncomfortable because lately I've had a couple of anger issues arise...
Read it and it comes with a warning:  Warning:  This proverb may make you very uncomfortable.  Warning:  This proverb may make you feel like a fool.  Warning:  This proverb is too close to home.

Proverb 20:1-3
Wine makes you mean, beer makes you quarrelsome— a staggering drunk is not much fun.
Quick-tempered leaders are like mad dogs—
 cross them and they bite your head off.
It's a mark of good character to avert quarrels,
but fools love to pick fights.

I think I am the fool.  Cross me and I will bite your head off.  When I get angry this thing invades my body and words spew from my mouth I don't even know...speaking of talking in tongues!  There are more cuss words in a phrase than actual words.  I don't  get angry too often...it is once in a blue moon...but when it happens...run and hide! 

Like all of us...once it is over I feel horrible...it is a roller coaster....you feel it rise within you and you feel it subside...so why do it?  At work I have learned to shut my door and think before I react.  React in private with the ranting and raving.  So, if my door is closed don't come knocking!  Only talk once you have calmed down. 

But there are times I lose it!  I am thinking about the recent mission trip and I cringe.  It is a mark of good character to avert a quarrel.  Try and talk it out...Don't pick a fight.  It is so easy to fight...to be quarrelsome.  Aren't there some days you are just cruising for a fight...you go picking one.

Uncontrolled anger is not a sign of leadership but a sign of weakness.  You "know" if you can control your anger.  I always feel sorry for people who don't get angry because sometimes only by being angry do things that really bother you...that's when things come out...that is the wrong way...

So think before you open your mouth!

No comments:

Post a Comment