Sunday, August 7, 2011

baptism



He put a child in the middle of the room. Then, cradling the little one in his arms, he said, "Whoever embraces one of these children as I do embraces me, and far more than me—God who sent me."
Mark 9:36

We recently read the book "Heaven is for Real" in book club and the one thing I remember so vividly is "Jesus LOVES children"  The little boy repeated it over and over.  He talked in heaven how Jesus would take them in his arms and love them.

Today at Lilah's baptism the Father reminded us of the exact same thing...Jesus took a stand about keeping the children away from him  and chided his disciples.  Let the children come to me he says in Matthew and in Mark he talks about loving a child.

I know God was smiling down on us today as Lilah was baptised as one of his angels.  She became not only ours today but also his.  What a blessing and the service was beautiful and so personal.  I am not sure I had ever been to a Catholic baptism but it was after the mass.  The Father was very personal and knew both Sarah and Justin and loved Lilah...all the traditions surrounding the baptism were special.  There were prayers for both parents and for the God parents.  The God Father held a lit candle to signify helping to take the light with Lilah into the world.  The God parents placed the sign of the cross on her forehead with her parents.  And the baptism ended with a anointing on Lilah to be a child of God.  She handled it all beautifully...looking at everything on the alter and everyone in the congregation.  She looked at it all with wonder...it was so special...I cried...

It made you realize what it means to be a child of God...that God loves us...if we love him like this small child does...unconditionally...
She will be raised with God in her life...what a blessing for her.
God blessed us today being able to be with her and seeing his handiwork.
God is good all the time!

No comments:

Post a Comment