Thursday, August 11, 2011

paul the televangalist

In our craziness last night we really discussed Paul.  At one point I chimed in (remember the mood I was in!) and said "I really don't like Paul".  If I was watching TV he would be the slick televangelist that would be asking for money or for me to buy his book or lecture series.  That is just the feeling I get from him.  I may get and like his message but I don't actually care for the messenger.

Aren't there people today out there preaching that you like the message but don't like to watch them?  Joel Olsteen is one for me and TD Jakes for that matter...I like their messages but don't like their mega stadiums or fake-ness I sometimes feel.

Paul to me was the same way.  He was belligerent...we discussed how he stood up and told the magistrates after his jailing.  "If you want to release us then come do it...we won't go silently into the night...you did this now you come and release us."  If someone today did this we would call them wacky. 

Paul would ask for money and he loved the Philippians because they always sent money to him...and he kept track...he knew who sent and who didn't.  That's just not right in my book.  That is like the church saying I know who paid and who didn't and you need to give more...wait they do that is called stewardship!!  Just joking...
And Paul seemed to talk out of both sides of his mouth...when the situation called for one thing to be said he would say it and if it called for the exact opposite to be said he did that too...he said what he had to so he would get the desired result....is that OK in the conversion of disciples.  I am not so sure.

So this man Paul...I hope we learn more about him over the next few weeks to change this opinion I have of the man.

No comments:

Post a Comment