Saturday, August 20, 2011

stand up



I just watched a great movie called "Made in Dagenham".  I love movies that make you jump online and dig  until you know more.  The women that worked in the Ford motor company plant in Dagenham, England went on strike and took on the company for equal pay for women.  We still don't have that today!  Women in this country, the most industrial country in the world,  still make much less than men for the mere fact we don't have a penis.  Makes sense to me.

I worked in an all male environment for years and knew where I stood with the "boys"  and come to think of it...that was a lot of the same thought process I felt at home...what did I know...I was just a woman. Those boys would take care of the hard stuff.  We could just plan the parties.  I remember something happening one time at work and being told...the boys will intercede and take care of it.  Bull puckey!  They once again made a giant mess of something us women would have handled so differently.
Guess what...I know lots and learn more every day.  But...I digress.

The Ford women machinists made history.  Their actions inspired the Equal Pay Act of 1970 that took five years to enact and still doesn't really do what it was intended to do.  BUT and there was a big one..they stood up for what is right...what does that old prophet Micah say about "let justice roll down like water"...
Standing up for what is right is just that...and in this instance a machinist named Rita O'Grady...stepped up and stood up for all of us women and demanded...that things be made right...and they were squeezed by men at every turn...the Ford execs, the union leadership, the prime minister, but they NEVER wavered in their battle.  Wow.

We should take note and read the stories of women who went before us and made so much possible for us women today.  What a road they have paved for all of us.  I have probably made a rebel of young Taylor as I continually tell her she is equal to any boy and can do anything she wants.  So can you.  One person CAN make a difference.  Young women in middle school and high school you have a lot to live up to...just like I do....we have to insure we pave the way for others that will follow and always keep in the forefront scripture that tells us to "stand up" for what is right....and to demand that "justice rolls down like water" for all.  There is a cause out there with your name on it!!

No comments:

Post a Comment