Wednesday, August 17, 2011

shedding that shell

Remember that whelk shell that was shed.

Just think when you are at the beach the things you shed....
clothes...no not like that!! You just don't need a closet full at the beach...you only have a suitcase full.  I know I don't worry about what to wear and sometimes wear the same 'ol thing over and over.  We lose our vanity.

shelter...we don't need the airtight, everything I need at home house.  Sometimes just give me a couch or some place to lay my head.  I will stay in a tent!  I am not fancy.  I don't want to clean it either.  It doesn't matter to me at the beach.  Guess what...it shouldn't matter that much at home either! Our puritan obsession with cleanliness leaves us at the beach.

Lastly we shed the impression others have of us...we seem to lose all vanity at the beach.  Who cares what anyone thinks.  I'll never see these people again. I walk in the morning in as little clothes as possible...what's it matter.  I eat what I want...I eat when I want...I lay in bed all day and read if I want...wow!  How liberating...

Ask yourself how little you really need.  How little it really takes to make you happy.  Think how happy you are at the beach with so little.  You might just be surprised.  It is all just stuff!

I can't take the beach home with me (wish I could) but I take that little whelk shell and I sit it on my desk at work.  Sometimes I pick it up and sand still falls out of it.  That makes me smile.

Just like that whelk or that crab who make this shell a temporary home...we are the same...it is only temporary this home we have.  This home at the beach.  But it makes us realize we can shed those "things" and only keep those things that are important in our daily life. 

Think of it this way, too.  Our home here on earth is only temporary.  By grace, we are given a permanent home where none of those things will matter either...clothes, shelter, worry.  They will all be gone in an instant.  Our heavenly home will be our forever home...the one we will not want to shed.

No comments:

Post a Comment