Wednesday, April 13, 2011

character welcome

There is a station on TV that says....characters welcome. 

It always makes me think about what it takes to have character not be a character.
What is character?
I heard someone say "It is the ability to do the right thing".
Wow!  I would welcome someone with character!

One dictionary says character is “the stable and distinctive qualities built into an individual’s life which determine his or her response regardless of circumstances.” Regardless of circumstances it is how you will act and react.  Not when anyone is looking but what you do when no one is looking.  I try to think of the people I know who have character.  I used to think my ex-husband, my ex-father-in-law were full of character.  I don't think that anymore.  My father was a character but I am not sure about his character.  I like to think he had it.  I know he was truthful and honest but I think that is different from character.

 It is hard to find someone with character.  Someone that always does the right thing.  There are some folks at church that walk the walk and talk the talk and I have the utmost respect for them.  It is hard to always do the right thing...but we need to reach for that goal.  I hope I taught my boys character.  Character is who we are.  It tells the world about us and it is a reflection of our God.  It is a reflection on our beliefs.

Abraham Lincoln said, “Reputation is the shadow. Character is the tree.”  How is your tree growing?

No comments:

Post a Comment