Thursday, April 28, 2011

in the course of a lifetime

About ten years ago I was the children's director at the church where I now serve as the youth director.  As the children's director I had a mother/daughter book club.  What is so funnyis... the mother's that were in the club now make up half of the current book club at church minus the daughters!

Some of the best books I ever read, I read with them.  The Giver is and always will be an all time favorite.  Walk Two Moons was another favorite.  From that book I got quotes I still use today.  "In the course of a lifetime what does it matter?"  I love that...it makes me realize, what I worry about today won't make a hill of beans in only a day or two.  It won't matter down the road and I probably won't even remember it.  I don't think the divorce or heartbreak fit into this catagory.  I will always remember that and it will matter a lifetime from now.  But other insignificant things...no way...

Other quotes from the book I loved were:

"Sometimes you know in your heart you love someone, but you have to go away before your head can figure it out."
Sharon Creech (Walk Two Moons)

"What I have since realized is that if people expect you to be brave, sometimes you pretend that you are, even when you are frightened down to your very bones. "
Sharon Creech (Walk Two Moons)

"You can't keep the birds of sadness from flying over your head, but you can keep them from nesting in your hair."
Sharon Creech (Walk Two Moons)

Oh, the inspiration we can get from children's books.  How long has it been since you read that book you LOVED as a child or young adult.  I loved those Nancy Drew books!
You need to check it out again.  See how it reads now. 
Does it still make you dream dreams?

No comments:

Post a Comment