Thursday, April 14, 2011

last lecture

Our book club book this month is The Last Lecture.  I was anxious to read this book because I've heard so much about it.
The http://www.thelastlecture.com/ describes the book as follows:
The Last Lecture goes beyond the now-famous lecture to inspire us all to live each day of our lives with purpose and joy.  “We cannot change the cards we are dealt, just how we play the hand.” said Randy Pausch .  A lot of professors give talks titled “The Last Lecture.” Professors are asked to consider their demise and to ruminate on what matters most to them. And while they speak, audiences can’t help but mull the same question: What wisdom would we impart to the world if we knew it was our last chance? If we had to vanish tomorrow, what would we want as our legacy?

As I read the book I ruminated on the question, "Really Achieving your Childhood Dream" which is the question Randy asks his readers and listeners.  Have you ever thought what your childhood dreams were?  I remember waking up one day when I was about 30ish thinking...WOW! I am getting older and where has my life gone! I remember watching the Olympics one year and realizing everyone participating was much younger than me so that was one thing I could never accomplish.

My childhood dream was to be a writer.  I wanted to write the great American novel....then I wanted to write slut books...now I am not sure what I want to write!  I haven't accomplished that dream but I do write on a daily basis here and on my job. So I am halfway there. I would like to be published before I die.

I always wanted to be an independent woman.  I hated the thought of a man telling me what to do and how to do it.  Guess that means my marriage was doomed from the start.  I grew up during the women's movement and always believed in the ERA and the concept women should be paid the same as men and should be afforded the same opportunity as men.  I worked in a man's field and left the job I loved for that exact reason...I was a woman and there was no where to go...it was a good ol' boy system.  I guess I accomplished that goal! I'm independent...and got there in a roundabout way.

I always wanted to live in the wild. Live in nature.  I worked for WV State Parks for about 15 years...so I accomplished that dream.  I do live away from the city...what I would call in the country.  So I guess that counts.

I always loved animals and swore I would have a couple dogs...over achievement there!

So guess what...I am pretty happy where I am at this point in life.  And I can honestly say...I have accomplished most of my childhood dreams...there is still a lot of time left to accomplish the rest and maybe decide on some new ones!

Have you accomplished yours?  Do you even remember what yours were? Think hard and take a look back at yourself.  Do you remember your bedroom as a kid?  I remember when my mom would do her spring cleaning and our rooms would smell like Murphy's Oil soap.  If I still want something to smell clean I use that soap to clean.

Childhood...what dreams we had then! Remember and see if you made them real!!




























































































 

No comments:

Post a Comment