Monday, April 18, 2011

running home when it hurts

When I found out about my husbands affair I didn't know where to go and the old adage about fight or flight was definitely true.  I flew the coop.  I ran home to my mom.  I was crushed and hurting and did what all kids do when they are hurt...I ran home where I would find comfort.  Where I found comfort when I was younger.

Mom gave me that, she gave me encouragement, she left me alone, she talked to the boys when I couldn't lift my head from the pillow.  Then Mark showed up and like an idiot I went with him...believing all the lies.

But as we all know the truth finally wins out...the truth sets us free...

During holy week...Jesus ran home when he hurt.  He ran to the Garden where he prayed.  He ran to his father.  He prayed for God to take this away from him...He knew what was going to happen...He wasn't an idiot like me...he didn't believe the lies...he knew where he was headed...he knew he would be betrayed...he knew he would die. He knew it would be painful and it would hurt many people. 

He went home to his father in prayer...where he would find peace and where he found the love he needed to move on to the cross.  His father held the truth and in the end the truth won out.

We, too can find the peace, the truth, the love in the same place Jesus did...in our father.

Remember when I wrote my lament last month? I talked about the book of Lamentations...today write your own lament.  Talk about your pain.  Cry out to the Lord like Jesus did...like I have...ask him to take this cup from you.  Turn to him.

No comments:

Post a Comment