Wednesday, May 4, 2011

another disciple class

I always come away from my Wednesday night class with a little new tidbit...a new enlightenment.
Tonight we studied the second half of Jeremiah.

Jeremiah 29:11 was my scripture that got me through the past two years.
"I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord.  Plans to prosper you, not to harm you.  Plans to give you a future."  This was originally written by Jeremiah as the word of the Lord to the Israelites in exile in Babylonia.  But it is really for anyone in the dark times.  The times you think there is no tomorrow.  It is a ray of hope.  A confirmation of God's unconditional and eternal love for each of us.  It is personal.

What I did not know through all of this...was there are the scriptures of 5-9 that proceed it.
In those scriptures God tells the Israelites to bloom where they are planted.  They may be in exile but he tells them:
"Build houses and live in them...plant gardens...eat your produce.  Take wives and become fathers of sons and daughters.  Take wives for your sons and give your daughters to husbands...,multiply there (in Babylon) and do not decrease.  Seek the welfare of the city where I have sent you...pray to the Lord on its behalf... in it's welfare you will have welfare."

This scripture tells me...be happy where you are!  Do what I tell you.  You have to be strong to move on, so stay here and build strength.    It may not be where you want to be...but this is where you are!  Now live there...be the best you can be in the situation you find yourself....quit your whining and plant a garden.  You have to go through here to get to the plans he has for you. Pray for where you are and after that comes the plans he has for you!!!  What a lesson for me!

The plans verse is followed by
"Call upon Me and come and pray to Me and I will listen...You will seek me and you will find me."

Doesn't that bring comfort?  God gives you the plan and gives you the results.  He also gives you the how to.
Wow! 
There is always a rest of the story.

No comments:

Post a Comment