Monday, May 16, 2011

let the wild rumpus start

The night Max wore his wolf suit and made mischief of one kind or another....one of my most favorite children's books is Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice Sendak...which recently became a movie.  I didn't go see the movie because I have such a love of the book, I didn't want it ruined for me.

I made sure both of my boys got a copy of this book as they got older...you have to make mischief like Max to realize you want to be where somebody loves you best of all.  The entire premise of the book is you can go out and do all you want to do...swing in trees, howl at the moon or even parade with other wild things...but in the end it is where you are loved best of all that you want to be.

I am loved best of all at church.  When I am there I feel the arms of God surround me.  Music makes my soul sigh and grow content.  It just washes over me like sunshine...the feeling of being close to God.  I love there are wild things there, too...the kids I work with are pretty wild at times but there are times like today, when we celebrated with them accomplishments when it is so priceless and I say my thanks to God.

I hope we have instilled this feeling in all of them...these young people we will soon send out into the big ol' world...I hope we have taught them there is a place where someone loves them best of all and God is never far when you are in this place. 

"And now," cried Max, "let the wild rumpus start!"

No comments:

Post a Comment