Tuesday, May 3, 2011

gas money

I can not believe the price of gas!  Today it reached an all-time high of $4.29 a gallon.  Today there were two of us from work getting gas at the same time.  We looked at each other and said...why?  We decided it was time to add him to our car pool of two.   Time to ride share and save money.  Hard times call for tough choices.  Giving up the freedom of having your own vehicle is nothing compared to saving about 24 dollars a week which averages out to about $95 a month.

Since the divorce I have been on a strict budget.  If I have learned nothing else I have learned to budget what I have and how to stretch my dollar.  I pack my lunch every day (that also helps that healthy eating), I seldom go out to dinner (when I do it is a treat and usually a celebration) and some days don't even eat dinner.  I am planning now for a fall getaway with some college friends and I am looking to buy an airline ticket later in the year.  Car issues, like new brakes, can throw me into financial crisis but that's OK.  I've learned to plan and it feels good.  It feels good to make it on my own.  To know that what I have is because I am making it.  I don't need anyone because I need them...The next time I am with someone it will be because I want to be. 

What a big step!  Mark and I always fought about money.  It was the one love of his life.  If I I had money and you needed it...well, here take it.  I always said I would teach him to share and do for others...guess he learned that lesson well...especially the share part!  Sorry...lent is over and I can rag on him again!

This is one area of my life that I knew I would have to conquer and there are days I am not so sure that I've beat it...those days before pay day can be tough...but I can make it and am finding I am doing OK. I have job hunted and considered changing jobs but I love what I do and knew I had to tackle this problem some time.

One of the first things they tell you in Divorce Care is to set a budget and stick to it.  Good Luck...this is a tough one!  In the beginning it is hard to live within your new means...I was so used to buying whatever I wanted...you can't do that...We split everything pretty much down the middle so I got very little from Mark.  I was paid about 31.00 a month for every month we were married or about $375 for every year...ex wives aren't worth much...not much for 32 years given to him...and salary-wise he made double what I did...but I don't regret it...I just wanted out.  I knew I would be better off and that I could do it.  I am one of those people, if you tell them they can't do something, then I will work my butt off to make sure it gets done,and I'll show you.

So, I will survive.

No comments:

Post a Comment