Thursday, May 26, 2011

suffering servant

I love how this Disciple bible study class opens our eyes to completely new ideas and thought on the same scripture we've read forever.

Last night we continued to read Isaiah.  He is a deep person and so much of Christ's coming is based on Isaiah scripture.  He prophesied the coming, that the servant sent for us would suffer. Since we have the luck to look back on this scripture with the knowledge of Christ's coming, it makes me wonder what those in exile thought as they heard this message.  Did it give them hope?

 Last night we looked at the word redeem, redeemer and what it means...and the meanings we saw in this Suffering Servant scripture.  Then we actually looked the word up in the dictionary and saw where it means to "purchase".   Our sinful price was paid...

It also talked about suffering...and how those that suffer pay the price for those that are wicked...all along I knew they were talking about Christ but I tried to apply it to my life...had my suffering paid Mark's price?  Had the fact that I suffered so his actions and how he behaved were redeemed?  Did my suffering save him and Kathy...well that just totally pissed me off...that is the human reaction...and it led me to such understanding about the nature of Christ...he was never pissed that his suffering saved all of us who are so unworthy...all of us that so don't deserve...I am his Mark and Kathy...I don't deserve his suffering for me...

I remember listening to a lesson somewhere about the woman at the well...how when she met Jesus she talked about how she didn't deserve the life she was given...all of the unfaithful men...all of the husbands...and by the time she left after her talk with Jesus she instead talked about in awe and wonder how she didn't deserve this living water he spoke of.

I love how answers come and realization comes through scripture and study.  I think I'll read on!
It is Isaiah again this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment