Thursday, March 17, 2011

disciple class week 3-4

I talked a couple of weeks ago about the prophets of old...this week in Disciple class we focused on Amos...one of my favorite prophets...he was one of the first written prophets who was prophesing in Isreal while Homer was writing in Greece.

He is a poet...he stepped of his comfort zone and went North, when God called, to tell them how corrupt they were.  How evil they were.  He stood up for what he believed in...even though he was standing alone...he could have been the poster boy for that saying!!

The line everyone knows from Amos is 5:23.."But let justice roll down like waters, and righteousness like an ever-flowing stream." 

I am reading "When God Whispers Your Name" by Max Lucado...in it I highlighted Exodus 14:14..."The Lord will fight for you."  This is his job to fight...our job is to trust...just trust...not direct...or question...or yank the steering wheel out of his hands...our job is to pray and wait.

That is what Amos did...he knew God was fighting for him and left his homeland without a worry and marched North...Lucado described it as...if you were in a street fight and your dad was standing right there who would you yell to help you?  It is your father...your God.

This past year and a half...I have trusted...I have tried not to question...i have yelled to God for the help in the fight...I know God sees the top of the puzzle box...I just see that piece I'm trying to fit in the puzzle...force in the puzzle...

Trust...unconditional trust is hard...
Next week we study Hosea and Gomer his adulterous, faithless wife...this should be a good study for me!
Amen and Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment