Monday, March 28, 2011

the sermon meant for you

So, yesterday was one of those days at church.  You know when the sermon is written just for you.
I  know this is not the case but it was one of those times when Greg might as well have been sitting down in front of me and giving me a talkin' to.

It was one based on the woman at the well scripture and the exodus out of Egypt and those whiny Israelites.  Nothing was good enough for them.  They wanted to turn back and head back to Egypt at the first sign of hardships and trouble.  Egypt, where they were slaves.

Are you seeing how this fits in to my situation?  Sometimes I am so afraid to take a step forward.  I would rather run backward.  Like Moses tells them "There is no road back to Egypt"...and I need to hear that sometimes.  There is no road back you can only move forward!

And that poor woman at the well, who said to Jesus..."I don't deserve this"...whining too, about her five husbands...and in the end turns it around after listening and meeting Jesus to "I don't deserve this grace and love you give so freely".

It is easy to whine and much harder to take that first baby step forward into the future.  The future may not be what we were expecting...I was expecting rocking chairs on a front porch and growing old together...but it is what what we get...a future not really sure where it is going...so pull up your big girl panties and get on with your life.

So, like Moses told those Israelites..."stop your whining and snivelling and move it, forward that is"...well not really but he wishes he had! 

No comments:

Post a Comment