Friday, March 4, 2011

his name is Justin

My youngest son and I had a heart to heart the other night...and he said to me...you never call me by my name in your blog...it is always "my youngest son"....so, to everyone...his name is Justin.  I love the fact they both read this...they call me to task some times about my blog...Justin and I are also in competition to see who gets the most visitors...I get about 57-62 a day...his site got 74 the other day and beat me.  The race is on!!

My boys make me laugh....they are the outgrowth of me!  Nick is me up one side and down the other...he plans the parties at work...he talks to everyone...he makes everyone happy...sometimes at his own expense...he is the life of any party...Mr social butterfly... I laugh because his son is Justin re-made...his daughter Taylor,  is a mini-me and him.  Sorry Jenn...you are in there somewhere.  Nick looks like me...I always tell him...put a wig on him and you have me.

Justin is me in that he loves to read...he loves to talk about what he reads...he loves to write...he loves music and he loves the arts...we talk and we discuss....we share feelings...
Both of my boys and I talk and tell each other how we feel....there is a pure and true honesty between us.

Put all of those traits together and that's me...they are the best of me...they are the best of all I have to offer.

The are also dads...and the best of dads....they love their kids unconditionally...they think of their kids first and foremost...all they do they do for their kids....I always think I did something right because they think of others before themselves.  That is a gift from God to put others first...when you have kids you learn...others come first...your kids come first.

Servant hood is not easy...we whine...it's all about us...what is in it for me? What can I get out of it...and they, like me, know it isn't about us...it is about others...and how we can serve them.

The proudest times of my life are when people tell me how the boys have helped them.
Someone on the hill behind our house told me how Nick, as a teen, stopped and helped them unload groceries when he saw they needed help....Justin goes to Sarah's school and plays his guitar for her class...they get to choose the songs...it is all about service to others.

God says we are to love our neighbor...Isaiah is all about servant hood...If I have taught my boys anything it is to have the heart of a servant...to give of yourself.

My boys and I are closer than ever...this ordeal has forced us to share our ideas about God, about love, about covenant, about strength, about truth, about honesty...I texted them just the other day and said I want to make sure you know what happened in our marriage...I want to be honest with you...They are free to ask me anything and I will tell them.  Unlike their father who still has not taken responsibility for his affair...it is amazingly "Kim's fault"...My actions made him climb in bed with another woman...I was at fault...and his family believes him...the man who is always right...the man who walks on water....golden boy...does no wrong...it is amazing.
A servant's heart thinks of others before self...that is a gift to give your children...to be in service to others.

With that gift comes a gift from God....it is more blessed to give...the feeling of love you get when you serve.
You receive a gift in return.
Give of yourself each day.
Amen and Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment